Monday, January 30, 2012

What's your favorite constellation and why?

Scorpius. I like how I can see almost all of its stars, and how it resembles a scorpion. And I'm a scorpio too. lol, but honestly, I like all bright constellations--Orion, Canis Major, Centaurus, and CruxWhat's your favorite constellation and why?Lyra the Lyre.



Why? Because it is the best joke...



Q: What is the star Vega named after?

A: A very bad small car, the Chevy Vega.



Q: And what constellation is Vega in?

A: Lyra the Lyre (liar) who was the guy who tried to sell you the Vega.



Also Vega is the brightest start in the summer sky and the ring nebula is in Lyra which is a neat deep sky object visible using a telescope even from very light polluted areas like Los Angeles.



P. S. Incase you didn't know a Lyre is a small hand held harp.



P. P. S. For those who answer Pleiades ... it's not a constellation - it is an asterism (a well know grouping of star found within a constellation or made up of stars from different constellations. (Other examples: The big dipper (only part of Ursa Major) and the summer triangle (made up of stars from Cygnus (the swan), Aquila(the eagle), and Lyra)What's your favorite constellation and why?
My favorite is Cygnus. The swan flies along the summer night Milky Way with her neck extended toward the bright central region of the galaxy. Her wings are spread across the Milky Way. Her head is a brilliant gold and blue double star. Her body is filled with millions of stars as that arm of the galaxy trails off from the core. Her wing brushes back the Veil Nebula. What more could you ask for in a constellation?What's your favorite constellation and why?Orion, because it is large and the easiest to recognize. And because the three main pyramids on the Giza plateau are aligned in the same orientation as the three stars in Orion's belt; and the size of the pyramids corresponds to the apparent magnitude of the three stars.

.
Orion, because the ancient Egyptians used it as a guide when building the Great Pyramids at Giza. comparing the pyramids and the Nile River to Orion's Belt and the Milky Way Galaxy...they match perfectly. I think that's pretty coolWhat's your favorite constellation and why?I like the Plaeides. If I could do it I'd join Orion chasing them across the sky for a while. I like M45 a lot, but mainly I just can't see how Orion could be wrong. Those ladies have got something a person has to want.What's your favorite constellation and why?
Actually I have three: Virgo, Leo and Canes Venacti. There are hundreds of galaxies visible with a medium size telescope and a dark location.
The Plaeides,..to understand why,..just look at it through a telescope,..or even a pair of binoculars,..What's your favorite constellation and why?
I like Orion because even though I live in a light-polluted area, I have no trouble finding it on a clear night.
Virgo because I'm a Virgo
Orion, because it's one of the few that I can instantly recognise.
Orion. It was the first one I ever saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment